Six Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Concrete Contractor
As spring approaches, many people begin thinking about their outdoor projects. Perhaps one of the things on your to-do list this year is replacing old worn out concrete around your home or business.
With the unpredictable weather in Victoria, most concrete paving jobs should be done by a professional contractor.
You probably already know a few good ways to find a concrete contractor in Victoria, but do you know the right questions to ask? Here are some tips to help you find the right contractor for your job.
1. When can you start? Although it’s tempting to go with someone who’s available immediately, ask why they’re free so soon. It could be that they just started their business. Or maybe they’re just going through a slow period. Keep in mind; reputable contractors tend to be booked weeks or months in advance.
2. How long will the job take? Experienced contractors typically finish a residential job within three days. If you don’t get a firm timeframe, they may be the type to have multiple jobs on the go at once. It is far better for a contractor to give your job their full attention before moving on to the next one.
3. Do you have pictures of previous work? Proof of craftsmanship is the calling card of a good concrete contractor. Beware of any that don’t bring pictures, testimonials or examples to your initial consultation.
4. How thick will the concrete be? If you’re having a new driveway poured, the appropriate thickness is 4 inches, 5 is even better. That’s the appropriate thickness to handle the weight of vehicles parked in the driveway. Anything less and the concrete will likely crack within the first couple months.
5. What is your plan if it rains? Concrete paving in Victoria comes with a unique set of challenges, namely the weather. A good downpour can completely ruin a job before it’s complete. The contractor should have a standard action plan in place should they encounter rainy weather while on the job.
6. Do you offer a warranty? A one-year craftsmanship warranty is standard. If it’s longer than one year, read the fine print. There could be clauses that let them off the hook for the most likely repairs. If they don’t offer a warranty, don’t hire them.
Contact O.K. Industries for a free estimate
At O.K Industries, we always provide our customers with a free, in-person consultation for the job. We have experience pouring a variety of concrete styles, textures, colours and patterns.
For an accurate estimate, it’s helpful if you do some research into style ideas you like and have them available for our consultation. To avoid busy season delays, contact us today!