The Pros & Cons of Choosing a Recycled Asphalt Driveway
What is recycled asphalt?
Instead of using entirely new materials, recycled asphalt makes use of old paving materials that would otherwise end up in the landfill. The old asphalt is ground into a new aggregate, which is then used to produce the “new” recycled asphalt.
ProsLet’s start with the pros. Recycled asphalt is a great choice for a number of reasons. It’s:
- Affordable—Because it is made with salvaged materials, recycled asphalt is available for a fraction of the price of newly manufactured asphalt.
- Attractive—Recycled asphalt has a look that’s all its own. It has an attractive finish that captures the charm of gravel combined with the smooth and classic look of regular asphalt. And having a driveway that stands out from the crowd can add real curb appeal to your home.
- Durable—Recycled asphalt contains tar, a material known for its adhesive properties, which makes it an incredibly durable paving material. Once it is wetted and compacted, recycled asphalt bonds to create a long lasting driveway.
- Responsible—Any effort to minimize waste and keep non-biodegradable materials out of the landfill is an environmentally responsible choice. Recycled asphalt reduces the amount of new materials required to pave driveways and parking lots and reuses old materials that were headed for the dump.
ConsNow let’s have a look at the cons. If you’re considering installing a recycled asphalt driveway in your home, you’ll want to keep the following in mind:
- Discolouration often occurs—Over time, exposure to the sun and the weather can cause your recycled asphalt driveway to lose some of its original lustre. And it won’t have the deep black finish associated with regular asphalt.
- Quality concerns—The quality of recycled asphalt depends entirely on the quality of the facility that makes it. Do your homework before you buy and hire a well-established paving company with a name you can trust like Island Asphalt in Victoria.
At Island Asphalt, we specialize in residential, commercial and municipal asphalt and concrete paving. For fast and reliable service, contact one of our friendly and professional paving contractors today. From the island’s major highways, right down to individual driveways, we pave the island. Contact Island Asphalt today for more information or to get an estimate.