We’re Here to Help Victoria Choose Concrete or Asphalt
Let’s compare your options below.
Asphalt: The Pros and Cons
Asphalt is also known as “blacktop” for its colour. Made of sand and stone, it’s fused together with leftover material from the production of gasoline, diesel and kerosene. In Victoria, asphalt is commonly used for commercial and municipal roads and residential driveways.
- Comparatively inexpensive
- Easy to repair or re-layer
- Less likely to crack
- Holds up well under snow
- Won’t show stains
- Tinting options
- Shorter lifespan (20 years)
- Softens under hot conditions
- Needs resealing every few years
- Rough edges
- Greater environmental impact
- Fewer aesthetic options
Concrete: The Pros and Cons
Concrete is made of a mixture of ground-up sand and gravel. Although its initial cost is greater than asphalt, it has more design versatility and longer lifespan. Many people in Victoria choose concrete paving when looking at the long-term advantages of the material.
- Lasts 30-40 years
- Low maintenance
- Resealing not necessary
- Less impact on the environment
- Performs well in warm climates (will not soften)
- Highly versatile (many tinting and scoring options)
- Prone to cracking, especially in cold climates
- Road salt damages it
- Stains easily
- If damaged, needs full replacing
- Initial cost is twice as much as asphalt
So, Which One is Better?
When it comes to selecting asphalt or concrete, it’s important to take all components into consideration when deciding which one is best.
Take into account its appearance, serviceable lifespan, cost, maintenance and the surrounding climate. Then apply that to its intended use. For example: will it be used by heavy transport trucks? Or will there be soft foot traffic?
O.K. Industries: a Paving Service You Can Trust
To help you decide which one is better for your purposes, you can rely on the expert advice at O.K. Industries.
We are a full-service asphalt and concrete contractor. We provide services ranging from residential driveways and tennis courts to major highway paving. Our highly skilled team is dedicated to delivering your paving project on time and within budget.