Your driveway is often the first thing that guests notice when they come to your home, and a beautifully paved driveway can make a great first impression. But a driveway that’s full of pits, holes, and cracks?
Not so much. Keep reading to learn how to protect your investment and maintain your driveway all year round.
What causes asphalt to deteriorate?
Asphalt paving is incredibly durable, but like all things, it can degrade over time. Normal wear and tear will eventually cause the paving in front of your Victoria home to break down, as can installation defects such as:
• Improper drainage
• Improper temperature when the asphalt was installed
• Insufficient leveling of the driveway base
• Nearby tree roots
Exposure to chemicals like oil and gas, UV rays, water and extreme weather can also take a toll on your driveway, no matter how well constructed it is.
Signs to watch out for
There are a number of different signs of asphalt deterioration that you should be on the lookout for:
• Cracking. Small cracks are typically the first sign of deterioration that homeowners notice.
• Crumbling. If the edges of your driveway are starting to crumble and fall away, the driveway’s foundation will be more vulnerable to deterioration.
• Warping. Warping often occurs in the form of ripples or ruts underneath the spot where you park your car and signals that the driveway base is deteriorating.
• Pitting. If pits or potholes form in your driveway, it’s usually a sign that there is a problem with the driveway base or foundation.
Maintaining your asphalt
Add driveway repairs to your regular home maintenance schedule to protect your investment and prolong its lifespan. One of best ways to protect your driveway from regular wear and tear and erosion as a result of extreme weather, is to apply a high-quality sealant once every couple of years.
The following best practices will help you prevent further deterioration of your driveway:
• Don’t place sharp objects, like bicycle kickstands, directly on the asphalt
• Avoid parking heavy vehicles like RVs in the driveway
• Avoid spilling chemicals on the surface of the asphalt
• Don’t use salt or de-icing products during the winter
• Repair cracks in a timely fashion
• Have your driveway professionally repaired and sealed
Looking for professional paving contractors to take care of the driveway in front of your Victoria home? You can count on the team at Island Paving to ensure the job will be done right the first time! Contact us today to learn more about our asphalt and driveway paving services, or to request an estimate.